Dental implants are the preferred restoration of choice when replacement of teeth is necessary. They are not just used to replace the roots of missing teeth, but also used to support single crowns, dentures and bridges. In order to enjoy dental implants for a long time, proper at home care and regular dental visits are very important, say the experts at Ridgetop Dental’s centre for dental implants in Northern Virginia. Here are some care and maintenance tips by Ridgetop Dentals experts to make your dental implants last for years.
Dental Implants and Gum Health
Although, dental implants are not affected by tooth decay, gum health is important for long-term implant success. Good oral health care and regular dental check-ups are important for maintaining your gum health after a dental implant.
Bacteria and plaque may form around an implant causing inflammation, leading to peri-implant diseases, such as peri-implantitis and peri-implant mucositis. Hence, regular cleaning of all the surfaces above and below the gumline is very important to prevent peri-implant disease.
How to clean above and Below the Gumline
Dental implants can be easily cleaned with few simple techniques, suggest Ridgetop Dental’s experts for dental implants in Tysons Corner VA. A Waterpik® Water Flosser, a manual, power, or sonic toothbrush with soft bristles can effectively clean around implants above and below the gum line.
Care instructions after placement of Dental Implants
· * Avoid rinsing, touching the wound or spitting on the day of surgery.
· Some bleeding or redness in the saliva is normal for 24 hours. Excessive bleeding, however, should not be ignored. You should immediately call your dentist if you experience heavy bleeding.
· Swelling is normal too; to reduce swelling, apply an ice bag, on the cheek in the area of surgery.
· Drink plenty of fluids and consume only soft food or liquid diet few days after the surgery.
· Be sure to take the prescribed pain medications and antibiotics to facilitate faster healing.
· Good oral hygiene is very important. Warm salt water rinses should be used at least 4-5 times a day, especially after meals. Brush gently initially to avoid strain on the surgery site.
Post-operative care is very important for the success of dental implant placement. So, make sure to follow all the post operative care instructions and choose only a good dental implant clinic like Ridgetop Dental’s centre for dental implant in Vienna VA. Ridgetop Dental uses the best dental implant placement procedures to give you a smile that you can enjoy for years.